Dearborn Memorial Park was founded in 1885 by Dr. Louis Hilleary, the first physician in the Poway area. Dearborn Memorial Park was named after John Dearborn, the first person to be buried in the cemetery. Originally, the cemetery consisted of only a few acres of land located along what is now known as Tierra Bonita Road.
On August 21, 1950, the Pomerado Cemetery District was formed by a resolution of the Board of Supervisors of the County of San Diego. At this time, the District took over the maintenance and operation of Dearborn Memorial Park. The Pomerado Cemetery District is governed by a three-member Board of Trustees. Trustees must be registered voters that live within the District boundaries and are appointed by the Board of Supervisors to four-year terms of office.
Public Cemetery Districts exist to serve residents and their immediate family members who reside and pay property taxes within District boundaries. The Pomerado Cemetery District encompasses 98.06 square miles and primarily serves the Poway, Rancho Bernardo, and Rancho Penasquitos communities.
After becoming a District, the cemetery acquired 40 additional acres of land. Currently, only 10 of these acres have been developed for burials. The District plans to develop the remaining 30 acres in stages as the community grows and additional sites are needed.
Dearborn Memorial Park is located in a beautiful, rural area of Poway and is surrounded by numerous large trees that help to create a very peaceful setting. Dearborn Memorial Park is also an Endowment Care Interment property. An Endowment Care Interment is a one-time fee that is paid by residents when a gravesite is purchased.
The mission of the Pomerado Cemetery District is to faithfully serving the community by compassionately embracing the bereaved; respectfully providing dignified interments; and eternally honoring the deceased.